A School-Centred QTS and PGCE Course
South West Teacher Training offers a School-Centred Initial Teacher Training experience. This means that our programme and training is entirely practitioner-led. Our course is designed and run by excellent schools and teachers from within our wide partnership. By training with us, new teachers are learning about the profession entirely from current practitioners who are keen to share their knowledge and expertise. Our partnership proudly sees this route as a recruitment pipeline of excellent new teachers for our schools and so takes care to ensure the training is as up-to-date and relevant as possible.
Our Trainees follow a curriculum that results in the award of Qualified Teacher Status at age ranges 11-16 as well as the qualification of a Post-Graduate Certificate of Education. The PGCE element of our course is led by Bath Spa University, an Outstanding Initial Teacher Education Provider. We work closely with Bath Spa to design a course that integrates up-to-date and relevant research, with a practitioner-led training curriculum.
Our programme plan includes teaching experience (from Week 2 of the course) alongside regular General Professional Studies Training, intensive Subject Professional Studies tutoring and a variety of other experiences, including:
- an initial induction week
- a placement in a local primary school
- a visit to a Special School
- Post-16 experience
- ongoing lesson observation and feedback
- individual and small group training from SWTT Course Tutors
- collaborative and team teaching with experienced staff
- whole group/class teaching experience
- regular individual support and guidance from a designated Mentor
- regular General Professional Studies sessions
- regular Subject Professional Studies sessions
- study periods for research and reflection
- subject specialism KS3 and 4 self-audit against the National Curriculum requirements
- involvement in school departmental meetings, pastoral work, parental consultations, staff meetings, extra-curricular activities
- teacher training experience in at least two contrasting schools
- preparation for first teaching post
- ability to observe and work alongside outstanding practitioners.
- assessment against the Teaching Standards.
Our partners believe that this programme fully prepares our trainees to begin their careers as successful teachers.